Throughout the month of December, the City of Geneva will join forces with Genève Commerces, the professional association of retail businesses in Geneva, to develop an innovative pilot project and offer anyone and everyone the chance to leave their Christmas shopping at a supervised drop-off point, free of charge, in the city centre.
Are you planning to go to the city centre to do your Christmas shopping, but you don’t want to take the car to get there? Do you dread having to carry your bulky parcels around with you while you’re in town? The “La Comète” project has been launched with you in mind.
Drop your parcels off free of charge
From 1 to 24 December, you can drop your parcels off free of charge at the “La Comète” chalet on Place de Longemalle and continue shopping, go to a restaurant and make the most of the city without being weighed down by all your parcels.
Home delivery service
A home delivery service will also be provided by OVO, the Geneva-based micro-logistics company which will deliver your parcels anywhere in the canton by cargo bike or electric vehicle, if you live a long way from the city centre. This delivery service costs CHF 10 per delivery.
The goals of this project
- To support the retail trade in Geneva and our local businesses;
- To promote the use of public transport and/or soft mobility during the Christmas shopping period;
- To make the Christmas shopping experience more enjoyable and practical;
- To provide magical entertainment around the chalet (storytelling for children on Wednesdays and Saturdays and Christmas concerts on the last two Thursdays of Advent).
La Comète chalet opening times
- Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays (2,5,6,7,9,12,13,14,16,19,20,23 December): from 11 a.m. to 7.30 p.m.
- Thursday evenings (1, 8, 15, 22 December): from 11 a.m. to 8.30 p.m.
- Wednesday 21 December, evening (special evening event): from 11 a.m. to 9.30 p.m.
- Saturdays (3, 10, 17 December): from 11 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.
- 24 December: from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. (deliveries possible until 2 p.m.).
The reading of children’s stories and distribution of treats for young (and old) on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 2 p.m. to 3.15 p.m. (event cancelled on Saturday 10 December 2022).
In front of la Comète, you will also find the Musique de la Croix-Bleue of Geneva on Thursday 22 December (the time will be announced at a later date)!
Any change in times will be announced on the Facebook page of the City of Geneva.
How does it work?
The concept is simple:
- You do your shopping in any shop in Geneva;
- You drop your shopping off at the La Comète chalet on Place de Longemalle (rue de la Croix d’Or side). Your parcels will be under the constant supervision of the attentive staff who are well practised in this type of project. If you opt for the delivery service, simply give the staff your contact details, the desired delivery address and the time you want your shopping to be delivered.
- You can enjoy a stroll around town, have lunch at a restaurant, spend some time with friends over a hot chocolate or go to the cinema while your parcels stay safe and sound at La Comète.
- You collect your parcels before La Comète closes or have them delivered to your door whenever it is convenient!
Article modifié le 16.12.2022 à 16:09