This page is also available in Français !

Submitting a request to register a civil partnership

This procedure explains the steps to be followed in order to prepare the registration of a federal partnership. During this preliminary procedure, same-sex couples submit a request with a view to registering their partnership with the civil registry office, accompanied by several official documents.

Horaires de l'état civil: de 8h30 à 11h45 et de 13h à 16h

The preliminary procedure can take several weeks or several months (in particular if foreign documents need to be legalised). Consequently, the partners are advised not to set a date to celebrate the registration of their partnership before completing the preliminary procedure. The registry office declines, in advance, all liability for costs resulting from the cancellation or postponement of the celebration.

Who is this procedure intended for?

This procedure is intended for all Swiss citizens.

Which documents are required?

Swiss citizens

  • residence certificate (if resident outside the canton);
  • passport or identity card.

Foreign citizens

The fiancés must visit the civil registry office concerned in order to obtain any necessary information and the detailed list of documents to be provided.

The documents required for foreign partners vary according to their country of origin, as different countries do not issue the same documents. The civil registry office will inform you of any document authentication procedure necessary. This authentication (legalisation) procedure can take several months.

This legalisation of documents requires advance payment of fees, which can range from CHF 300 to CHF 2,000 per person, depending on the country.

Since 1 January 2011, article 5 paragraph 4 of the federal law on partnerships registered between people of the same sex has stipulated that “partners who are not Swiss citizens must prove the legality of their stay in Switzerland during the preliminary procedure for the partnership”. In the absence of a valid residence permit, the civil registry office will be obliged to refuse to register the partnership.

Partners previously married or bound by a registered partnership

In addition to the aforementioned documents, partners who were previously married or bound by a registered partnership must produce confirmation of the dissolution of the marriage or registered partnership.

What to do?

The partners must complete the partnership registration request form available for download below and visit the civil registry office in the place of residence of one or other partner.

This form can also be obtained from the relevant civil registry office.

Swiss citizens living abroad can submit their request via the closest Swiss diplomatic or consular representation.

The procedure at the civil registry office is as follows:

  • the partners produce the duly completed form together with the necessary documents (indicated above);
  • the partners declare in person to the civil registrar that they satisfy all the legal conditions;
  • the civil registrar examines the request and informs the partners if the partnership can be registered. The registration details are determined in agreement with the civil registry office.


Service de l'état civil

37 Rue de la Mairie




Tél. +41224186650

Fax. +41224186651


Service de l'état civil

Télécharger la vCard

Article modifié le 25.09.2020 à 17:05