Parc Bertrand is almost twice as big as Parc des Bastions. It is located in the upper reaches of Champel on the borders of the Florissant district. Its remarkable trees, vast lawns and numerous amenities make it a very popular site.
Associated article in Themes
History and development
The estate dates back to the 17th century, when Champel was a grim area of countryside outside the city walls where political opponents were executed and “witches” were burned (on the current avenue Beau-Séjour!). At the end of the 18th century, the district became more fashionable as affluent families began moving in. The park owes its name to the photographer/explorer Alfred Bertrand. His family purchased the estate in the 19th century and his widow donated it to the City of Geneva in 1940.
Parc Bertrand is bordered by myriad species of tree surrounding vast lawns and numerous amenities. In the centre of the park, an alley of willows runs alongside a lake and the remains of a stream which previously flowed through the site. Breathtakingly-white Himalayan birch, stunning sequoias, a number of different species of pine, plane trees, a magnificent incense cedar, alleys of lime trees and horse-chestnuts contribute to the park’s beauty and exceptional
The play area in Parc Bertrand is one of the most attractive in the city. There is also a paddling pool and a proxisport facility. Built in 1750, the former manor house has been turned into a school. It is surrounded by a flower garden. The Champel community centre regularly organises events in the park. Public toilets are available near the school. Two large areas for dogs (one fenced in and the other open) have been installed along Route de Florissant and Avenue Eugène-Pittard. In the rest of the park, dogs are allowed on the paths if kept on a leash.
The City’s parks and gardens are managed ecologically without any chemical products being used. Biodiversity is fostered in Parc Bertrand, in particular through late mowing of the borders.
Article modifié le 26.01.2023 à 14:01