There are certain places where dogs can ben taken off the leash, other places where they are accepted on condition that they are kept on leash, and some places and green areas where dogs are strictly prohibited.
When taking your dog for a walk, it is important to distinguish three types of location:
- Places open to dogs kept on a leash
- Places where dogs can be taken off the leash
- Places prohibited to dogs
Places where dogs can be taken off the leash
There are certain places where dogs can be taken off the leash, on condition that they are accompanied. These locations are shown on the map below (green areas).
Places open to dogs kept on a leash
Generally speaking, dogs must be kept on a leash in all public areas:
- public thoroughfares;
- quays and promenades;
- public parks.
Dogs must also be kept on a leash:
- within the internationally renowned water bird and migratory bird sanctuary (bay and Rhône);
- in forests from 1 April to 15 July, as well as when the owner does not have complete control over his/her animal;
- on camp sites.
Below, you will find a selection of circuits ideally suited to taking a walk with the dogs. These circuits allow you to reach different areas where the dogs can be taken off the leash.
Places prohibited to dogs
There are some places and green areas where dogs are strictly prohibited, even if kept on a leash, as mentionned on the map below (red areas):
- all places where a sign indicates that dogs are prohibited;
- schools and school yards, children’s play areas and paddling pools;
- lawns, flowerbeds and plantations along the promenades and in public parks and gardens;
- premises where food is sold;
- public baths, beaches and swimming pools (including les Pâquis pier);
- religious buildings and cemeteries;
- concert halls;
- woodland and nature reserves;
- the riverbanks and water within the internationally renowned water bird and migratory bird sanctuary (bay and Rhône), between October and March.
Parks and green areas prohibited to dogs
Although dogs are generally admitted to the city's parks and green areas on condition they are kept on a leash, several green areas are strictly prohibited to dogs, as mentioned on the map below (blue circuits).
Article modifié le 26.07.2023 à 12:43