Do you want to become involved in relational volunteer work, providing accompaniment, support and a sympathetic ear? Contact the organisations that coordinate volunteer work!
The volunteer work coordination unit brings together the organisations which offer vulnerable people living either at home or in an institution support, a presence and a sympathetic ear.
List of organisations to contact
If you want to become involved as a volunteer, contact one of the following members according to the type of volunteer work that interests you:
- The Plainpalais Jonction/Acacias outreach centre coordinates the Troc social project which promotes a direct exchange of services between inhabitants or partners within the district. Open to all, this project aims to develop solidarity through a relationship of mutual support, placing particular emphasis on isolated people, people in difficulty and those looking for greater integration.
- The Servette Petit-Saconnex/Saint-Jean outreach centre coordinates the Troc social project which promotes a direct exchange of services between inhabitants or partners within the district. Open to all, it aims to develop solidarity through a relationship of mutual support, placing particular emphasis on isolated people, people in difficulty and those looking for greater integration.
- The Entrelacs association accompanies and supports seriously ill, old people who are lonely or nearing the end of their life, either at home or in a socio-medical institution. It also listens to the needs and moods of the beneficiary.
- Caritas Geneva’s accompaniment service organises relational volunteer work based on presence and a sympathetic ear for people who are old, ill or nearing the end of their life. Having received prior training, volunteers intervene at home and in socio-medical institutions.
- The aim of the Centre genevois du volontariat is to promote volunteer work in the social, humanitarian and cultural sectors. It orients individual volunteers towards a wide range of activities such as weekly house calls or visits to socio-medical institutions for old, ill or handicapped people or taking these people out for short walks, providing various transport services and offering academic support and French lessons for adults.
- The Geneva Red Cross organises volunteers to visit old people who are lonely in order to reduce their isolation by encouraging social links, thereby making it easier for them to remain in their own home. These visits last 2 hours a week, often in the afternoon but always in accordance with the person’s needs. A volunteer accompanies one or two people for a period of at least one year.
- The Roman Catholic Church in Geneva (ECR) organises a pastoral health programme providing human, spiritual and/or religious accompaniment in institutions (socio-medical centres or Geneva university hospitals, HUG) based on presence, listening, support and comfort for any old and/or ill person (individual visits).
- The HUG clinics’ pharmacology and toxicology service organises sharing and discussion times, support or a simple presence with volunteers trained to listen and accompany. These volunteers are affiliated with one or two care units and work in close cooperation with the nursing team. Their activity respects the beliefs, culture and privacy of the patient and his/her entourage.
- Volunteers accompany people at the end of life living in the Maison de Tara, along with their loved ones. They help with the household chores and support the work of external carers.
- Domilys is a home support group of the Ligue genevoise contre le cancer devoted to people suffering from cancer during difficult periods or at the end of life. One 2- or 3- hour visit is scheduled per week, always by the same volunteer who accompanies one case at any one time for the necessary period, which may last several months. Possibility of replacement during holidays.
- The Petit-Saconnex retirement home welcomes people who have reached OASI age who need care support or regular assistance with everyday activities.
Other associations offering opportunities for volunteer work
If you are a member of an association or an institution which offers opportunities for relational volunteer work and you wish to join the volunteer work coordination unit, please do not hesitate to contact the ASP Servette Petit-Saconnex/Saint-Jean. The contact details are presented below.
Article modifié le 26.02.2020 à 15:23