Discover a selection of activities and tips for senior citizens to keep busy, take care of yourself and learn all the latest information.
Cité Seniors offers activities and resources to make confinment more pleasant
Short stories reading (in french)
This week discover WhatsApp (in french)
Staying in contact without leaving home
You may have been forced to give up your usual social life, but there are other ways of staying in contact;
- Create a telephone chain following the steps recommended by ProSenectute to stay in contact with your loved ones during the week;
- The magazine Générations invites you to write a letter to your loved ones; these letters will then be published on the website and in the magazine.
Taking care of yourself
During this period of uncertainty and confinement, it is entirely natural to ask yourself questions and perhaps feel stronger emotions. Do not hesitate to consult the resources below in order to find support and please remember that a number of professionals will be happy lend a sympathetic ear via the Geneva cantonal information hotline on 0800 909 400. Furthermore, the City of Geneva has opened a “Solidarité 65+/COVID-19” hotline on 0800 22 55 11, tasked specifically with providing senior citizens with support. Do not hesitate to make use of this hotline, which is open from monday to friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Keep a confinement diary in order to keep a precise personal record of this singular period;
- Relax at home through meditation and full awareness;
- Protect and promote your mental health by following the advice of the association SantéPsy;
- Take part in creative workshop dreamed up by Le Jardin d’Hedwig and its team of art therapists in order to support caregivers and senior citizens suffering from cognitive disorders.
- Trajectoires: If you need information or support or if you want to make an appointment for a telephone or online chat, contact Trajectoires by e-mail on email@example.com and leave your contact details;
- Association Parole: Confinement and coronavirus. The association Parole is part of the Geneva and western Switzerland network which provides support for the health and integration of people suffering from mental disorders. During the pandemic, the association has organised a hotline open Monday to Friday, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m
- Info-Entraide Suisse: Virtual mutual aid groups on the topic of the coronavirus. Since 3 April, Info-Entraide Suisse and the regional Info-Entraide centres have organised mutual aid groups using virtual resources on topics linked to the coronavirus and its consequences on people’s personal lives. These groups are supported by professionals.
Doing physical and dynamic activities at home.
Even when staying at home, it is essential to continue doing a physical activity for the sake of both your body and your mind. Here is a selection of exercises suitable for senior citizens to do at home.
- In collaboration with the western Swiss Pro Senectute cantonal organisations, Gym Seniors Genève provides online classes to encourage confined senior citizens to stay active at home. For those who do not have Internet access, Léman Bleu broadcasts the classes at 2.30 p.m. Monday to Friday;
- Unisanté organises live home exercise sessions for senior citizens (and anyone else interested!) on its YouTube chain
- GooveApp provides specially adapted sports sessions to help senior citizens stay in shape;
- Discover a range of different exercise programmes for every level with L'Equilibre en marche;
- M.O.V.E for gentle exercise;
- At 8.05 every morning, RTS provides daily exercise sessions with a variant for senior citizens;
- The Canton of Vaud Mouvement des Ainés presents a series of activities, in particular including pilates and sophrology;
- Test four balance exercises with the Swiss Red Cross;
- Sikana presents 50 fun soft gym exercises.
Gentle exercices, provided by Cité Seniors (in french)
As Hippocrates said: “Let food be thy medicine”, so we have decided to give you some cooking ideas to help you stay healthy.
- Be inspired by the recipes from Genève Terroir;
- Nutrition recommendations for senior citizens from the Swiss Society for Nutrition, including meal suggestions and valuable advice;
- A wide variety of recipes from Betty Bossi;
- The Migros cookery club;
- The Fooby recipes and meal suggestions.
During this period of confinement, we provide you with a number of ideas to help you keep busy, have fun and take a break from your everyday routine without leaving the house.
Culture at your fingertips
- Virtual museum visits, concerts, writing competitions… the Canton of Geneva has brought together a bumper package of cultural offerings, to be enjoyed without moderation, under the label “La culture, quand-même”.
- The City of Geneva presents collections and virtual visits of its museums and other cultural venues.
- The City of Geneva’s municipal libraries provide access to their e-books and online courses.
- Discover a selection of audio books, radios programmes and podcasts created by the City as well as the selection of the City of Geneva’s municipal libraries.
- Take a look at the Geneva libraries blog, offering reading suggestions, treasures drawn from their collections and even virtual exhibitions!
Discover the history of anarchism in the Geneva region: a series of lectures proposed by Philippe Deturche, Professor of History, HETS Geneva. (in french)
Free games online
Despite the cancellation of the film and cinema festivals this spring, you still have access to their online selections:
The pleasure of learning
Why not take advantage of this downtime to learn new things and explore new horizons? Here is a selection of free online classes and ideas for activities that you can do at home:
- University of Lausanne - Connaissance 3;
- University of Geneva - Université des seniors Uni3;
- Free language courses online;
- Learning to draw;
- Making your own cleaning products.
Creating a (not-so-secret) garden on the balcony
Spring has very definitely arrived and nature is waking up – it's time to sow seeds, plant seedlings and watch your flowers, fruit and vegetables grow.
- There are several initiatives in the City of Geneva enabling city-dwellers to reconnect with nature and agriculture while encouraging biodiversity;
- You can also order a starter kit from Tomates Urbaines, which offers advice and local seed varieties.
Other websites offering advice and activities
- Alzheimer Genève;
- Association VIVA;
- La Plateforme des aînés (voir les Hebdo Plateforme - Coronavirus);
- Subscribe to the City of Geneva’s “Restez chez vous” newsletter;
- The magazine Générations Plus;
- Advice from Pro Senectute.
Finding information about COVID-19
- The recommendations of the Canton of Geneva for senior citizens during the pandemic;
- The decisions taken by the authorities of the City of Geneva relating to the coronavirus;
- The dedicated COVID-19 page of the programme “On en parle” broadcast by Radio-Television Suisse.
Information about COVID-19, provided by Cité Seniors (in french)
We hope that you will find some nuggets of pleasure among these suggestions. We would be delighted if you could share your favourite game, activity and resource sites with us! Send an e-mail with the relevant information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Article modifié le 18.05.2020 à 14:03