This page is also available in Français !

Having a foreign same-sex partnership or marriage recognised for citizens of Geneva

This procedure enables you to have a same-sex partnership or marriage contracted abroad recognised. A same-sex partnership or marriage duly contracted abroad is recognised in Switzerland if it complies with the principles of Swiss law.

Encadré de relance

Horaires de l'état civil: de 8h30 à 11h45 et de 13h à 16h

A marriage celebrated abroad between people of the same sex is recognised in Switzerland as a registered partnership.

Who is this procedure intended for?

This procedure is intended for people of the same sex who have contracted a marriage or partnership together abroad.

What to do?

The request for recognition must be submitted to the Swiss diplomatic representation (embassy or consulate) together with the documents relating to the registered partnership or same-sex marriage.

The Swiss diplomatic representation checks the accuracy of the documents, legalises them and, if necessary, translates them into an official language of the Swiss Confederation (subject to payment of a fee). The documents will then be sent to the cantonal supervisory bureau for the canton of origin which will take a decision concerning recognition. In Geneva, this is the Cantonal Civil Registry and Legalisations Department.

How will your application be processed?

The cantonal supervisory bureau takes a decision concerning recognition. If the conditions are met, it orders the transcription in the registers. Based on this decision, the same-sex partnership or marriage contracted abroad can be entered in the Infostar civil register.

Article modifié le 25.09.2020 à 17:05